This post was written as part of Peeve Week 2: Internet.
I don’t like your site. Wait, that’s not right – I *hate* your site. Don’t worry, it’s not your content – I love your content. I wouldn’t keep visiting your site if I didn’t like what you have to say.
The thing is, everything else that goes along with it is crap. Everything else makes me thankful for feed readers. You want to know what all that crap is?
- You have a splash page. A main page that only says “click here to enter” is not only useless, it’s harmful – it actually turns visitors away. Your splash page wastes your bandwidth, and worse, wastes my time. For crying out loud, I’m at your site already – doesn’t that already tell you that I’m interested in what you have to say? Don’t make me have to click (and wait again) before you start sharing some useful information.
- Your text blends into your background. Couldn’t read that last sentence? Good – that should give you a dose of your own medicine. You posted your thoughts online so other people could read them, right? Don’t make it difficult.
- On a related point, your site is just ugly. You’ve got garish colors, large blinking text, tons of animated images, andâ€¦ you get the picture. Basically, you’re site is an eyesore.
- You’ve got Snap Shots™, Kontera, or other software that makes little (or not-so-little) windows pop up. Unless you hide your links by making them look like regular text, I know what links look like – you don’t have to pester me to click them by having them jump out at me. Besides – this is for you Snap users – Do you think I really care what the site you’re pointing to looks like? If I did, I would click the link myself -it only takes one click. On top of that, it take me away from your page.
- This point is specific to bloggers, but still a reason for me to hate your site – you make it hard to comment. Yes, I’m looking at you Blogger users – I know it’s not your fault, but your platform just forces me to jump through several hoops just to leave a comment. There are better blogging platforms out there (i.e. WordPress) that are better than your current host in so many ways. You want a free host? Use WordPress.com instead. Heck, I can help you migrate if you want.
It’s a good thing most of you offer feeds. Yup, you got that right, “most of you” offer feeds. One more reason for me to hate your site: you don’t offer a feed. If you don’t know how to offer one, or why, or even what a feed is, well, just read some other posts I have on the topic. Right now, I’m too tired from ranting to write anything more.
Luis Cruz writes to us from the Philippines. He drives around to relax and shoots photos to pay for his gas. He eats enough for two – maybe even three. He also has the tendency to ramble on and on about anything and everything without stating anything significant – you may have noticed this already.